Sunday, August 20, 2006

Chutney Crisis
They've taken my chutney away! During the past week I've been in full production mode for a tea I was cooking for. Experimenting and trying new things is one fun part of this but I stick to one or two tried and true things. Chicken salad made with Trader Joe's Mango Chutney in mini cream puff shells is always reliable. I used the last of the jar to have my girlfriend taste test it and she pronounced it delicious. Even my significant other liked it. Yay! The subtle spices and touch of sweetness it adds makes it taste different than everyday chicken salads and is just plain good. I was relieved not to have to experiment on this. The next night my friend called and informed me that Trader Joe's has discontinued the chutney. No! Now I had a quest on my hands. Harry and David's Mango Chutney was good but not the same and I used it with satisfactory results. It actually looks better in the jar. Smart & Final has one I'll have to try. The color is the same.
Rant begins here:
How could they do this to me and the chutney loving public? Am I going to have to make it myself? I don't even really know what chutney is exactly but I count on it. I just want to stroll into my neighborhood Trader Joe's and pick up a jar. There are lots of references on the web to this exact ingredient. Epicurious.com recommends it. Someone make them bring it back!
OK, I feel better now.